Six stories of additional built form were added to the top of the 1948 Melbourne Telephone Exchange and Post Office as a part of its adaptive reuse into inner-city apartments.
The interlocking cubic design of the existing base building anchors the powerful yet intricately detailed additional form which now crowns the building.
Corten steel blades which separate the higher apartments form strong sculptural skyline elements.
The design is also successful in referencing and reinterpreting ornamental elements of the existing building.
Existing stylised Doric columns at street level are echoed above at the interface of old and new, and contemporary art installations – permanent and transient – neighbour the façade’s original bas-relief adornments.